Saturday, September 27, 2008

Nearing the end of week 1!

Samedi, le 27 septembre, 2008

Bonjour mes amis!

This is probably the first time anyone is going to look at this because the last post I wrote before I had a blog set up, so feel free to read that one as well! I'll pick up from where that last post left off...

Wednesday I had my oral exams at the Institut Catholique (the language school I am taking classes at this semester). They went really well and everything is fine! Yay! That night, I went with some friends from University of Illinois as well as a couple of new French friends to the Louvre at night. It was absolutely stunning. I forgot to bring my camera, but hopefully I will go back there at night because the glass pyramids look amazing all lit up!

Yesterday our program went on a guided tour of the Musée du Louvre. Yes, I saw the Mona Lisa! We also learned about the history of the museum itself, which was actually originally built as a fortress and located outside the city walls of Paris. Then, when the city expanded and the walls were extended outward, the Louvre was part of the city itself and became a royal palace. It is interesting to note the different architecture and decorations in the Louvre depending on when that particular part of the building was built. I will definitely be going back there.

That night, our new French friends took us to the Sacre Coeur, and we sat on the steps and had a very French picnic with baguettes, paté, and of course, some wine! In front of us on there was a beautiful view of Paris, and behind us the beautiful Sacre Coeur.

Today (or I guess yesterday, since it is Saturday at 3 in the morning here...I stayed up to watch the presidential debate but the internet is not letting me stream it!!) we went to the Musée d'Orsay. This is another place I will definitely visit again. We looked at lots of famous impressionist paintings, from people like Degas, Cezanne, Monet, and of course my favorite, Van Gogh.

At night my friends and I went on another picnic, this time to the Eiffel Tower. It is lit up in blue because President Sarkozy just became the head of the European Union, and so the "city of lights" is definitely celebrating by lighting up everything in blue! Again, it was an amazing night with an unbelievable view. At times during our conversations sitting on the grass, my Illinois friends and I would joke and say things like "Oh, yeah, there's the Eiffel tower. No biggie, just one of the most recognized landmarks in the world..yeah, so what were you saying??"

Tomorrow our group ventures to Versailles for another guided tour. I can't wait!

If you can't tell by my posts so far, let me just say bluntly that I love it here. I am awestruck by everything, and I'd like everyone to come visit so they can live the dream as well!

Much love,

Sunanna

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sunanna! I didn't realize you were going to Paris! Lucky duck, you! It's amazing the difference between the northern and southern hemispheres...I only have 2 more weeks of class, which is so strange. Anyway, it's good to hear what you're up to and such and I'm glad it's fun!

guitman423 said...

I love you stories so far, keep em coming!!! I cannot wait for you to be my tour guide. Great pics, too!

Unknown said...

We never knew your favorite artist was Van Gogh! Loved the pics -- especially the Eiffel Tower at night. Delighted that you are enjoying yourself so much. MOM & DAD