Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Reality Sets In...

Le 21 octobre, 2008

So the reality is finally setting in that I actually LIVE in this city. It's unbelievable. I've been here a month now, so it's not a visit anymore. C'est la vie.

The last couple of weeks have been eventful, as always. It's already the 4th week of classes at L'Institut Catholique, and having a routine makes the days go by very quickly. The weekends, of course, go faster! On Saturday I went to the marché des puces (flea market), one of the biggest and most famous antique furniture markets in the world. There is also a part that's just a bunch of cheap stuff, which was interesting to look at! After we went to Sacré Coeur during the day and went inside. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but it was obviously beautiful. I didn't like all the tourist-y "buy stuff!" advertisements inside the church, but I suppose that's just how it is these days! It was peaceful to just sit in a pew and look around, though.

Every Sunday I am trying to visit different places in Paris I haven't been with my friend Lauren. Last Sunday we went to Père-Lachaise with our friend Alec. It is a cemetery where a bunch of famous people are buried, like Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde. This Sunday we went to the Jardin du Tuileries and then just walked around all over the place for a while. Sundays have been good to us, the weather has been just beautiful.

Last week our program went to l'Opéra Bastille to see the opera Rigoletto. It was amazing. All the subtitles were in French and I had no difficultly reading them so I was very proud of myself :-). The music was extraordinary, if you ever get a chance to see that opera you should!

Also last weekend my friend Beka came to visit from Barcelona. It was great having her here! We did a lot of things in Paris, but mostly just wandered around. This is a picture of us in the Jardin du Luxembourg:
Well, that's about all for now. Pictures are slow to be uploaded, but will be posted soon! Don't forget to check back for new ones! I have a bunch!

Love,

Sunanna

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My Grandfather was from Luxembourg and I'm in contact with several people there. Isn't it beautiful!? It sounds like you're doing great! Enjoy every moment!

Unknown said...

Oh, I just read more and saw that you didn't actually travel to Luxembourg. But, Paris still sounds great!

Simone said...

I have tagged you in a blog chain, here are the rules:

1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
5. Let each person know they've been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.
Thanks!